Tuesday 14 July 2009

Doodly Sketches


I think of myself as never having time for personal work. Invariably I feel the need to be working on compositional thumbnails, concepting sketches, or the like, rather than sketching for simple pleasure.

So it was a pleasant surprise when I found myself drawn into one of Jon Schindehette's 'artorder' challenges the other day, the results of which can be found here:
http://artorder.blogspot.com/2009/07/oso-del-le-fez.html
and here:
http://artorder.blogspot.com/2009/07/book-covers-and-adventures-of-oso-del.html

However whilst enjoying exploring my concepts for Oso I also realised that I do manage some personal work. Most Wednesdays I play in a Warhammer FRP campaign. This has been going for a couple of years now, and I regularly find myself doodling throughout the sessions, oftentimes this is work related...

... but if not they are usually representations of my character (of which I am on my second, the first - Josef Fraze - having had an unfortunate accident involving the wrong end of a Kislevite's sword). Dietrich Totenwasser is a Magister of the College of Light, and rather down on his luck at present, but still opposing the forces of Chaos.

The Images here are shown in reverse order of his career trajectory, though the wererat/skaven was a foe, not an incarnation! They are rendered in biro. I find that I can lay down a lighter line then firm it up when needed, but it is still relatively unforgiving.


This tends to mean that I 'follow the line' and end up with less considered pieces than my usual preparatory sketches, but conversely they can have more energy in them. I certainly hope you find them of interest.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.